Forgotten Lines
An overturned car at a fork in a road
on the TV in the husk of a 7-Eleven
where I sit near a noisy cooler with crayons
and a blank phonebook:
they are no longer here
no longer anywhere
their identities no longer known.
I draw on the moon and the stars
and visit their neighborhoods
delivering emails to shut-ins.
Their shoes take on different meanings.
A faded curtain in a remote village.
A Mayday unheard.
This ends Act One.
In Act Two, marbles are divided
among the players
one with a cat's eye
filled with the shadows of roads
leading out of town.
The veins on the back of his hand
tell another story
to be serialized on cable.
A stagehand asks for directions
to his high school reunion.
I find myself among strangers
some well-heeled and beautiful
standing in a hallway decorated for Halloween.
They wear masks and are fluent in foreign tongues
their conversations flavored with memories.
Nearby a string quartet tunes their instruments.
The rain has seen this before.
They too will run out of time.
A bell sounds the beginning of the third act:
teachers scramble for their attendance books
littered throughout the building.
Their lesson plans are projected overhead for all to see.
Some hide their eyes.
Hall monitors have their hands full.
I stand alone in the middle of a stage.
I've forgotten my lines.
The other actors exchange phone numbers.

No comments:
Post a Comment