Given the Number of Items on My Plate
I prefer short novels, better yet, novellas
something longer than a short story but shorter
than one of those sweeping Russian doorstops
so chock-full of characters with unpronounceable names
I fall asleep with the reading light on,
the book spread-eagled across my chest.
But not too short.
I want something I can sink my teeth into
something with a money-back guarantee
should the escape fail to span a three-day weekend
something that'll survive the bullet train trip to the city and back
something I can bookmark.
A few well-developed characters will do,
characters who won't mind waiting while I put the kids to bed
perhaps a pleasant landscape and some animals
including a yellow Lab
but above all some space to stretch out in with room to spare
between once upon and ever after.
![]() |
| Scholar of the Dark by Gina Litherland |

An excellent, Billy Collins-type flavor to this one.
ReplyDeleteP.A.
Thanks, Paul, I was reading Collins at the time!
ReplyDelete