Sunday, September 2, 2012

Back to You

You begin telling a funny story then stop
insisting your delivery is off a few cents
as if you were comparing musical pitches.
You assume tomorrow will arrive as scheduled
with makeovers and callbacks and returns.
Not unlike most of us, yes?
Bring the car around, it's time.
Shall we continue into the second stanza
which was left flopping around on the wet sand?
I can't believe it's you
but in fact it is
looking small yet provocative
for the part you've chosen from scraps of paper
blowing around the gazebo.
There was a time. . . .
Forget it. That was back when timetables
ran the show and the button
signifying the next move
was visible to all, even those in the nosebleed section.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison

2 comments:

  1. You make me wish for better poems, words worth the crowd, etc. The latest reflection from an observer.

    Snow Spell

    The woods are sedated by white dust
    I am infatuated with this place again

    Flaws are covered and everything is new
    The woods sparkle, quietly and brilliantly

    A red squirrel, my nemesis, leaps from tree to tree
    Just yesterday, I bought the trap and bait

    Now, I read in my big bed and eat the peanut butter
    Under blankets, I reign as queen and offer a temporary pardon

    His redness is great against white and I know the grey will come soon
    I postpone the relocation until the January thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!!! I love it!!! Your words are most assuredly "worth the crowd." Please continue!!!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete