Monday, October 31, 2016

Screen Dump 317

So, sad fact, but get used to it, because nothing else is going to happen.
          - Anne Carson

How well did you know him/her? . . .
I didn’t know him/her . . .
Why then the need to act? . . .
the need to deliver lines as if on stage? . . .
I am on hold . . . otherwise . . .
The world erased, rebuilt, erased again . . .

Reminds me of Poe's The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar . . .
How so? . . .
A mesmerist puts a man in a suspended hypnotic state
at the moment of death . . .
But aren't we all suspended in the here and now
awaiting deportation to the there and then? . . .

Houdini never got back to Bess, yes? . . .
But what about now? . . .
Now? . . . I'm only a pawn in the game . . .
A stretch limo . . . with credits . . .
The idea of closure as afterthought . . .
as incidental . . . lost amid the fourth wall . . .

I tried to follow the directions
but kept getting derailed by the enjambments . . .
to say nothing of the pages . . . and pages of footnotes . . .
Have no idea why I felt compelled to continue . . .
I guess it has something to do with where I’ve been . . .
A clue perhaps in the first few lines? . . .

You float above an empty amphitheater . . .
slough-off chance encounters . . .
with reenacters . . .
You hope to make a series of short films
inspired by Anne Carson’s comment that
the best one can hope for as a human

is to have a relationship with that emptiness
where God would be if God were available . . .

You return to the original wording . . .
The line-breaks have yellowed . . .
Impossible to draw the curtains . . .
This much you allow . . .