Driving Home After My Last Prostate Exam
My Harvard-trained urologist
straight black hair yet to be peppered
whom I’ve been somewhat intimate with
for ten years now
enters the examination room
looks at the test results
types something into his computer
and says You’re good.
Unless you have a problem, we’re done.
But the shoe will drop . . . someday.
Yes, it will, he says, but not here.
And I’m a bit saddened
not because his words portend my shelf life
but because . . . strangely . . . I will miss him
and my annual visit
to this sad room
with its sad faces
and sad words.
Driving home after my last prostate exam
David Bowie, dead at 69,
sings This Is Not America on the radio.
Head bandaged
buttons for eyes
he lies on a rickety chipped hospital bed
in an empty room
in Lazarus, his last video.
When the cancer spread, he stopped treatment.
| David Bowie, Lazarus (2016) |
No comments:
Post a Comment