Guides to the Unconscious
1
The floaters in my eyes
are shooting stars -
intricate constellations
I can enjoy
while grocery shopping
doing laundry
meditating
on the plight of recyclables.
Friends have suggested
listing them on eBay
as guides
to the unconscious.
2
A Pilates practitioner
on the evening news
recommends
immersion
as a guide to the unconscious.
Lean in to your work.
Break the bottlenecks.
Find a safe harbor
for your button collection.
Embrace unnecessary gestures
if necessary.
Read a book
from cover to cover.
In either direction.
3
Spending a day
on the windowsill
was once thought to be
a fairly reliable guide
to the unconscious.
I had a dream
that Freud wrote
The Interpretation of Dreams
while smoking a cigar
on a windowsill
in Vienna.
4
I’ve started hanging out
with navel oranges
and a belly dancer.
She uses finger foods
as guides to the unconscious.
It’s got me thinking
about shutter speeds
and house salads
and a half-brother
I never had.
5
Eighty-three point five percent
of Americans
reported searching
for guides to the unconscious
last year.
People streaming through turnstiles
half-walking
half-running
trying to avoid
the pitfalls of anagrams,
the loneliness
of buttonholes.
Day after day.
Little warning.
6
I’ve mentioned my interest
in guides to the unconscious
to my co-workers
who seem uninterested
or more interested
in the water spots
on their annotated
coffee mugs.
7
Did you expect this so-called poem
on guides to the unconscious?
Did you expect your croquet balls to vanish
willy-nilly?

I didn't expect a poem on guides to the unconscious, but those wretched croquet balls have been threatening to walk out on me for months. It's not my fault the garage is cold. The snow has been more than wicket-high for everybody around here.
ReplyDeleteDisgusted in Saratoga
Only wicket-high? Up here it's hoop-high!
ReplyDeleteDouble Disgusted in the Mountains