The writer writes to be read, he said,
and yellow and blue, too.
Begin with the primaries -
always a good start.
It's not enough to be informed.
You've got to part your hair
and comb the beach.
It's a thankless job
but no one has to do it.
Unconventional wisdom, you know,
believes in the magic
of a single grain of sand.
Which reminds me, the sugar bowl
needs to be refilled.
Refined sugar, though harmful,
is OK with me.
I have to stop for gas.
I'm almost empty of recriminations.
I'm not sure of the exact meaning
of that word
but I wanted to use it
before it was too old.
Writing a poem, for me, you see,
is like crafting a piece of found art,
which, some would say, is oxymoronic,
and a good place to end.
For me there is a tinge of Billy Collins in the ending lines of this one. It works.
ReplyDeleteP.A.